How is Ways to Wellness set up?
The Ways to Wellness Foundation Trust is a registered charitable foundation and Ways to Wellness Ltd is its trading arm, which holds and manages contracts with service providers, social investors and the pre-existing Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) (formerly Newcastle West CCG).
Ways to Wellness Ltd acts as the central contract management body for the work. Its main roles are to:
- Hold a seven-year contract with the Newcastle Gateshead CCG, whereby the CCG agrees to pay for the provision of social prescribing services to their patients if agreed outcomes are achieved, namely demonstrated improvement in patient wellbeing and a reduction in the use of resources by the NHS in supporting them.
- Raise finance from and hold contracts with social investors whose investment will pay for the cost of the service in the early years ahead of the performance measures being achieved.
- Procure services via contracts with Service Providers who will employ Link Workers and deliver the Ways to Wellness Ltd service.
Ways to Wellness Ltd also:
- Oversees and administers the patient referral process and database.
- Provides some of the initial and ongoing training for Link Workers to help embed the core values and performance management.
- Works with external evaluators who are interested in the Project.
Ways to Wellness' Chair Chris Drinkwater and Senior Link Worker Louise Cooke recently took part in a BMJ podcast on Social Prescribing.Read more
I've changed a lot in the last year. I've still got health problems but instead of being isolated I feel that I have routes and reasons to get out.