Ways to Wellness runs a number of projects, that help people across the North East and North Cumbria. See below for an overview of each project, and links to more information.
Long-term conditions service
The Ways to Wellness long-term conditions service is for people with certain long-term health conditions, aged 18-74, who attend participating GP practices in Newcastle upon Tyne. Please click here for a list of participating GP practices.
The eligible long-term health conditions are:
- Chronic breathing difficulties (COPD) or Asthma
- Diabetes (type 1 or type 2)
- Heart disease
- Thinning of the bones (osteoporosis)
- Pre-diabetes (non-diabetic hyperglycaemia)
- Osteoarthritis of the hip/knee
- Any of the above with depression and/or anxiety.
If you have any of the listed long-term health conditions, are aged 18 to 74 and attend one of the GP practices found via the above link and are interested in Ways to Wellness please ask your GP, nurse or other healthcare professional for more information.
The SPACE pilot supports children their families, who receive care from the Great North Children’s Hospital.
To be eligible for support you must meet all the following criteria:
- Families who have a child aged 0-15 years with conditions such as: cerebral palsy; epilepsy; autism; or another chronic disability related to a neurological condition
- Children who are hospital in-patients, and their families - admitted under any paediatric team. Clinicians should be confident that the child is sufficiently medically well for the social prescribing intervention to be appropriate at that time
- Living in the North East/North Cumbria area
- Children and their family are willing to consent to both the intervention and the evaluation.
If you think you are eligible for the pilot and you would like to join it, please speak to the clinician at the Great North Children’s Hospital who is supporting you. If appropriate, they can then refer you to the project.
Click here for more information about the SPACE pilot
Prof David Hunter joins Ways to Wellness Board of TrusteesRead more
I feel so much better - happier and healthier. It has been such a positive experience for me.